Wednesday 13 April 2011

Playoffs

Another sure sign of spring is playoff hockey. The best teams in the league face off to see who will get to hoist the cup. I will be rooting for my boys from the D, but living in Montreal doesn't make it easy. Habs culture is unprecedented and a little unruly. I have learned to appreciate them. Luckily these teams are in different conferences so I can publicly support both teams until the finals, if they happen to play each other, which seems unlikely at least for this season.

These playoffs mark the 20th consecutive year that the Red Wings make a playoff appearance. I don't know what it is about this franchise, but I can honestly say that I am so proud to be a fan. They have always selected some of the finest people to bring leadership and guidance to this team. From the early days of Gordie Howe, but of the times more relevant to me is the era of Scotty Bowman and now with former McGill alum Mike Babcock bringing strong coaching to the bench. Stevie Y is a legend, of all the athletes from all the sports around the world, he is my number 1, I would go into the plethora of reasons why, but I will spare you the sport psychology essay.

In living rooms, cubicals and pubs across the country, the discussion will be centrered around hockey. Celebrations will be had, tears will be shed, both of joy and sorrow, many beers will be consumed, all in the name of our nations passtime. God bless hockey!

Place your bets people, who will bring home Stanley?

1 comment:

  1. ... Montreal.

    But to make a more realistic pick, I'm hoping Vancouver brings it home. They're wayyy overdue.

    ReplyDelete