Monday 30 January 2012

Choices and Quality of Life

No matter how you spin it, everything comes down to choices. Some days you are presented with a cornucopia of choices, other days it may seem that you are constrained and stripped of any free will. Making decisions of any consequence can be overwhelming. Yes or no, left or right, paper or plastic, chicken or beef.  Sometimes you have so many options, your mind can't even begin to process it all and sometimes you have to face a choice that can change the course of your life.

When recently faced with a monumental decision, I realized how many choices I had been making everyday. I wanted to make changes in my life, and this was not an easy task, I faced many obstacles. However, I chose to continually be proactive and strive for change, despite how challenging and exhausting the process had been. I could have easily decided to do nothing and wait for something to happen, eventually. By making choices, suddenly I found myself with a "good problem to have", I was presented with 2 distinct, yet appealing offers. My career and lifestyle were at stake here. And no, you can't always have both.

I spent 2 days weighing the pros and cons of each option, spinning my wheels, trying to come to a conclusion that I wouldn't regret in the future. The bottom line came down to the choice between a lot of money but a lot of stress or less money but a much more enjoyable existence. While money can provide a certain lifestyle, how good can it be when you are too tired or busy to enjoy it? There were other key variables involved in making this decision, but in the end I chose to have a great life. One of the most difficult decisions of my life, to date. I am so happy with the choice I made and it only took a few hours, endless conversations and some lost sleep. Quality of life trumps all.

It's time to make a choice. What do you say to taking chances?

After writing this blog post I found an article that highlights the factors that went into making my decision on which job to accept. It is about more than just $$ - read more for yourself here

No comments:

Post a Comment