Thursday 26 April 2012

Make a Memory

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but what is a memory worth?

I was recently uploading a photo album on Facebook with some pictures of my life over the past few months and I realized I didn't have very many photos. But this wasn't because I hadn't been doing anything, quite the opposite really.

In this day of the internet and social media, people are constantly plastering images of themselves for others to gawk at. But it seems that when I am having a good time it doesn't even cross my mind to capture it in an image because I am completely immersed in what is happening around me. So often I get home after a night out / event / general good time and I am reminded that I had my camera in my purse and never once thought to use it and I feel some lingering disappointment. This is somewhat compounded when I see everyone else posting multiple images of themselves out living life. I stop to think if I am really missing out on something... But what are they doing that I am not? Interrupting the flow of a good time? Being distracted by a compulsion to document everything while missing out on so much more? Trying to prove something that isn't true, make a situation seem more interesting than it really is?

I don't have the visual proof that I was doing something awesome, or looking fabulous but I know I was there and I remember how much fun I had, and so do the people who I was with. So if you are interested in knowing how I enjoy myself and my spend my free time, stop trying to live vicariously and come experience it for yourself. I can't promise there will be any photos records of it other than what is burned into my memory, but I can guarantee those memories will be incredible ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment