Sunday 15 April 2012

Restaurants

Recently, I have been doing a bit of celebrating and other adventures that lead to eating out. Being the type of person I am, I like to research restaurants in advance and select a place that fits mood. Needless to say I have been on many restaurant websites lately and wow do I hate them. I don't know who started this trend of restaurant websites needing a big flashy intro, club music, and making them creatively challenging to navigate. How is that a good business model? I actually became so annoyed with one website that I refuse to go to the restaurant on the basis of having a terrible site.

I could go on, but my peeves have already been accurately well documented and illustrated by The Oatmeal, see here.

Additionally, I am really disappointed to say this, but I am concerned by patterns in service that I have been receiving lately. Generally, most bars and restaurants that I have frequented lately have been providing mediocre service at best. Which really calls into question the notion of gratuity. When I dine out, I am often looking for a gastronomic experience, but providing good food is not sufficient. The service is key, where the hell do I have to go to be treated like a valued customer? Another observation is that I have received consistently better service from males than females. What is going on here ladies? Time to take that chip off your shoulder and do your job properly.

In other news, I discovered a great Mexican restaurant in Montreal, not one of those cliche places with cheap dirty food and big drinks (probably meant to help you not notice how bad the food is). The food was amazing, the drinks were very tasty, and the place had great ambiance, it is called Limon - you should check it out! (also their website is very functional, and for an added bonus, it has awesome Chihuahua's wearing sombrero's)

No comments:

Post a Comment